October 13, 2011

Working on molding

Today one of the Oyumaru molding compounds I ordered came in. The sticks are pretty small but I suppose you don't really need too much. I melted it all together then split that to make 2 molds. One is for my ring encasements the other was a little bit of fun making.
I only did the mold a small bit past that bottom of the plastic ring because I wanted the backing flat so I have the option of rings or keyfobs with the same mold. I think I'm not going to reuse the compound on this mold because of how veristile it can be. This was for my husband. He is such a gamer.
My oldest daughter had this keychain fob and while I did make 2 different castings, I'm going to have to make a 3rd. Those little joystitcks really do move and as I spread the compound over, it left gaps. It's not going to be the 3D version, just the front of the controller. I found some helpful hints on coloring resin with regular eyeshadow. I wanted to see how it come out so I made one small test subject.No real mixing. I just put the resin in the tray then added a bit of the loose gold powder eyeshadow I had and using a straw, blew air into it to get the swirlys. I like how it colored but still left it a bit transparent. Here's another view:When I felt the color was too 'bunched' in one area I just blew air again and mixed it around. It also help to pop the few bubbles I got. I think I found a cheap and neater alternative to the glitter for coloring. I also found a few YouTube videos showing how to add more decorative swirls to the mix. Let's see what the weekend brings..I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment