April 28, 2012

The next test sample.

I didn't fill the mold all the way because I wanted to test the gem facets. There were some minor scratches on the front face. It's hairline, so when clear casting, it makes no difference. However, if any color is added it will require a new mold to be made.

This piece of tatting embedded was already resin dipped, so it looked similar to porcelain. Getting it to fit into the mold was a bit tricky because the petals had harden more opened and fuller. I had to smoosh it down so it looks flatten out. When I set the next I'll just seal the thread with Modge Podge, so the petals will be able to be moved before being permanetly set in the resin. Overall, I'm satisfied with this and will make three more molds to get the casting times cut down.

April 20, 2012

Not much to update. Life has kept me too busy for my crafts. I did get these done.

I made the mistake of forgetting to use mold release, and ruined a mold. It was one of my larger ones too. *sigh* I'm going to try and use this egg holder to make a paperweight. Mostly I want to see what I can create. I found this nifty measuring tool so now I have less resin waste.