July 28, 2013
I also picked up all the bottles of UV resin both stores had. Sadly it was only 4 bottles. I wish they carried the larger bottle instead of the smaller 1 ounce size. Now that would be a coupon well spent. While there browsing the aisles I found a gloss varnish that was on clearance. After checking some reviews online, I picked up all three bottles. Combined they cost less than a medium cup of Chai Tea from Starbucks. So even if this doesn't work for my resin shuttles, it appears to be a good sealer for other things. The much needed Mold Putty is now part of my supplies as well. Unfortunately I only got one box. This was not stocked on a regular basis.
While out shopping I kept my eyes out on how to package the finished shuttles to send. After looking over different packaging, I decided on what they labeled as 'Pillow Cases'. They were found in the wedding section which meant overpriced. I was able to find a substitute at another store, and with a little bit of tissue paper in it, I believe it will give enough protection to survive the not so tender hands that manage shipping items.
July 8, 2013
I had to find a way to keep the points connected while the UV resin cured. I don't have any clamps to hold it, so I improvised with a twisty tie than came off the packaging for my son's toy. I cut that in half and put it around where the hearts and oval connected. This actually worked out better than I expected. I was also able to adjust the tension by giving it another twist and it did not harm the blades in any way.
I was so impatient waiting for it to cure. The sun had already set by the time I had this portion ready. When I woke up I went out to my patio to get the shuttle and test to see if the resin had finished curing. It had! I was a bit apprehensive when I took off those twist ties. If it didn't set right I would have to cut off that post cast another one and redo this step. I only have half a day, a week to work on my projects, outside life takes up too much of my week. So if I had to start over it would be another week before I was able to try to fix this.
I felt like it was Christmas morning. It worked and my shuttle retained the tension. The finished shuttle!
July 7, 2013
After some trials and errors, I found a center post that should work. Originally I used regular resin, but it was taking too long to cure. Using the UV resin again, I used a glue stick and cut it to shape for the next Oyumaru mold. Twenty minutes later I had two different posts. I sanded that down and smoothed out the post. Then I added a little bit more UV resin to act as glue I set it back outside to cure. One plus to this crazy summer heat, is that I have plenty of sunshine to help dry that resin.
This current stage is the right form to make another template so I'm going to do that before I add the top of the shuttle. Since I already sanded and shaped both blades to fit snuggly together I'm going to make the second blade as a permanent mold as well. It should be a simple enough thing to connect the two sides together after this.
July 2, 2013
I could put some small tatting in the center oval. It is thick enough to add a motif made in size 80 thread. Also, it's not really flat there in the center. It is slightly concave so I could add a motif then add some more resin to dome it off. The underside is of course all smooth and the other side is also except inside the actual heart portions. I wanted to show off the detail so I mix up some regular resin added a small bit of black coloring and using the same Oyumaru mold, cast another blade. It ended up having a smokey cast with small bits still in it. When I checked it, it wasn't done curing. This is a good thing because I needed to bend it enough to shape the other blade. I placed both pieces together making sure the heart tips all touched, then gently pushed on the ends until I had a satisfactory bend to the center. Now the problem was keeping it like that until the resin finished curing. Surprisingly, the Oyumaru mold was the solution. It was just the right thickness to keep the bend I wanted for this piece.