October 6, 2011

Times creeping up on me

I've put aside some serious crafting time starting next week. I'll be on a vacation until the end of October so no excuses on not having time for fun. The 17th is my birthday so the family and I are heading to Disneyland for a couple of days. After that....yeah, break out the resin.
I've been working on filling this tray up so I'll be ready to go when we come back. I know, not much progress for now. The drawback is that I'm having to work with superfine thread and it's been killer on my hands. Maintaing the correct tension so as to not snap the thread, that is.
In anticipation of this great event I've been stockpiling on supplies and have acquired some reshapeable molding putty on Ebay. I probably should have shopped around a bit, but I did have some EbayBucks that I used to pay for it so I'm not too concerned on the price. This stuff is called Oyumaru and it's a molding plastique.After my impulsive buy I found a seller on Etsy who had it cheaper. Oh well.I may just get both depending on how well it works out for me. The one I purchased included two molds with it, a dolphin and a sea shell. I don't think I'll ever use them but you never know. One great thing about this is that to use it super easy. Heat the blocks until it gets warm then press your item into it, let it cool and wahla! You have a mold. And when you're done just warm up the plastique again in water and it's completely re-usable. This will be great for the odd shaped tatting I want to encase in resin. Like my little dragon that's almost done.

So for now it's all about watching YouTube tutorials on how to use this and the EasyCast resin to my advantage. One link from the EasyCast website gave awesome tips on how to add color to replicate stones like rose quartz and jade. Wouldn't that be neat? A dragon in Rose Quartz? Oh my creative hamster is definitely running in its wheel. I do have to remember I must be patient while the resin cures. It's not going to be almost instant gratification like the Magic Glos.

No comments:

Post a Comment