January 30, 2017

Supplies and games

I found a new website to purchase resin supplies. Okay not exactly resin, but molds and inclusions. I picked up a few molds and some dried flowers, and most recently, internal watch gears. Most of the inclusions were meant for nail art, but hey the work for resin as well.

I got inspired to make my own Pandora style of beads. Searching for this particular style of mold was not fruitful. I purchased a few random larger sized beads from my local craft store. I was going to make my own mold with these. Now the easiest thing to do was probably go buy at least 1 Pandora bead and make a mold out of that. I wanted a workaround. Those beads are really pricey! After making a mold out of a larger round bead, I realized that it was not the correct form needed for the hardware the P-style bead required. I put that mold aside and it sat there gathering dust in the mold drawer. Until I went back to the new website, Wish.com. They had listed bead molds made of silicone, for a dollar! I bought a few in different styles. The downside...besides paying individual shipping on EVERY single item you purchase, was the wait time. It took almost a month for the molds to arrive. Even though most were from the same seller, they shipped individually so they had different arrival times. I cast a bead with a sea shell in the bead mold I made.
I had to do a lot of sanding to smooth out the roundness of the bead. Then I used the bead mold I ordered from Wish.com.
These are a little bit larger than the bead mold I made. I over filled the mold just a bit, which caused a lip to form on one side of the bead. For now it gives it a little seat for it to sit on while I took the picture. The sanding on these will be minimal to non-existent once I learn where the limit line is for resin on this mold. I should have stabilized the white tatting thread in the second bead before casting. It went semi-transparent.

I knew micro bubbles were going to be present, the resin was cold when I mixed. The other mold I ordered was a candy mold. I liked the design and thought they'd make nice cabacones. I am going to have to hand paint the raised design then dome them to finish.

I have half a gallon of resin that is nearing the end of it's self life so I will be busy with random resin casting in the coming weeks.