February 24, 2016

Fishes and sticks

 Those hollow shells I made I put to use. Using polymer clay, I made a few goldfish in different sizes. I already had plans to make them into pendants, so shaping the fish was random.
 I saw a tutorial on Youtube for a mini fish pond and since I made so many extra fishes I decided to make one myself. Going outside and finding small pebbles to use seemed like too much of a bother so I made pebbles using some more clay.



 
 It was all a waiting game for the resin to cure. I ended up putting the fish upside down in the round mold but in the end, it turned out okay.

 While on Pintrest,

I found a tutorial-ish on how to make knitting needles out of resin and a McDonald's food straw. I don't knit, but I thought they'd make cool hair sticks. On tutorial-ish I mean that the basic steps were given. But no tips on how to get the yarn to stay in place or if you have to seal the yarn prior..yeah people new to resin working may find this frustrating and get a bunch of failures. Well, I used regular straws and the new cc7000 resin. My results:
The first stick has glow in the dark glitter/powder in it. The resin and this mix did not play nice. It is super floppy and bendy. The second stick is with less of the glow in the dark powder, but still bendy. The third was just some gold flakes mixed with the clear resin. The fourth was again the powder mixed resin but a thicker straw. The final one a mix of the glow in the dark powder, flakes and clear resin. My main problem was air bubbles. It is incredibly hard to get them out of the straws. I think I'm going to have to warm my resin more prior to mixing to help discourage them from forming.
The second attempted run making this, I used eyeshadows and the gold flakes to color. These came out much better.


I put them to the test and unfortunately, the broke after two uses. My hair is very thick, so to get them to go through, I put a lot of pressure on the sticks. My future sister suggested using a Boba drink straw. After picking up a few extra I got to say, those straws are super thick! Maybe too thick but I'm willing to give them a try anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment