September 18, 2015

Discovering new resins

I joined a Facebook group called Resin Art Fun Open Forum, that is centered around resin. They have a wonderful collection of members that give advise. In some of those posts, I discovered a new type of resin and more or less how to work with it.
My first trial run was tragic. I obviously did not mix it correctly by the level in these bottles. I made the mistake to work with the children still awake to distract me. It began curing in less than ten minutes and I had to hastily dump the resin into whatever mold was available since it did heat up quite a bit. I have to admit, I got a bit nervous when the resin 'smoked' a small bit.




In the shuttle mold in the forefront, it was poured 30 seconds before the one to the back right of it. As you can see it did pour smooth. The one in the back is a globby mess. I followed the directions exactly as it was described, but I later learned that those directions were for larger castings.


This piece was really hard cured in about 12 hours! It actually turned out to look like a cool quartz piece. It also turned out to have some weight to it. Not to say it was heavy, but it doesn't have a paper weight feel to it like most of the other resin pieces.
These are the few shuttle blades I was able to create. The green one reminds me of a beer bottle. It even has the feel of glass. The purple one turned out a little bit bendy. The green I used pastel chalk, the purple a drop of acrylic paint. It seems that it needs to have the acrylic mixed to one part of the resin before I mix with the second part. It DOES began curing quickly. This made it more difficult to create the swirls. It will make finding a way to tint my resin more challenging. Eyeshadows do work just as easily in this resin as any other type of resin. I haven't tried embedding anything in it, but that's tonight's project.

No comments:

Post a Comment