August 21, 2015

One step foward...

I'm currently working on making the video tutorial for the resin shuttles. Editing takes up so much time. There's takes and retakes and even more retakes. Did I mention I'm doing this in the spare moments from the Real World Work Life? For something that started as just fun, it is taking a lot of work. The biggest issue I'm having is temperature control. Starting the shuttles is not an issue. The curing time is. My Honey keeps turning the air conditioner down to a temperature that ruins the pieces. No matter how many times I mention it, he keeps forgetting. I've wasted bottles of resin this way. For every one shuttle that pans out, there's six that didn't.

On the failures, I'm thinking of trying to make them into thread bobbins. Or even make them into a tray collage encased in a even larger resin base. Similar to the dragon plate display.
Or if I can find a "tile" mold, I can make several of them and use them like blocks to make other things, like a box or shelf. Some of the shuttles came out pretty but are not stiff enough on their own to hold tension. With a side project like this, I won't have to feel bad about throwing those away.

I found another YouTube tutorial on an alternative way to make molds. Make a small vaccum former than with LDPE plastics, make the molds.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hkrHDWzYRN0?list=PLexO86OnPbHl742u3R3561hOIQgkRyAv1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just picked up my new shop vac as well as most of the materials needed. The only thing missing is the actual plastic. I found a local distributor but they only sell large sheets for more than I planned on spending. I'm looking into alternatives online right now. I did try out making silicon molds out of silicon and cornstarch, but I found that their lifespan is really short. It was not worth the mess involved making them. Plus they did not work for resin casting, they kept leaving a nasty pasty film that I had to sand layers off to remove. So for now I think I'll stick to my good old standard: Oyumaru.

No comments:

Post a Comment