July 28, 2013

Supplying

I have been bulking up for supplies to make more shuttles. I made a few blades but have to make a new mold for the center post. The new shuttles I ordered to use as a template for my posts have arrived. I'm going to make the first prototype with my Oyumaru. With my Michael's having the long awaited 50% off coupon I stocked up by hitting both of the stores in my town on the two days I had to use it. First on the list was to purchase a UV lamp. This way I can make the trials at night and not be limited to daylight hours. I picked up the same brand as the UV resin, so far though, I'm thinking I got a defective unit because it isn't helping to cure anything. The room with the blinds drawn cure it faster than this lamp. I'm going to exchange it tomorrow in case it is a defective unit.

I also picked up all the bottles of UV resin both stores had. Sadly it was only 4 bottles. I wish they carried the larger bottle instead of the smaller 1 ounce size. Now that would be a coupon well spent. While there browsing the aisles I found a gloss varnish that was on clearance. After checking some reviews online, I picked up all three bottles. Combined they cost less than a medium cup of Chai Tea from Starbucks. So even if this doesn't work for my resin shuttles, it appears to be a good sealer for other things. The much needed Mold Putty is now part of my supplies as well. Unfortunately I only got one box. This was not stocked on a regular basis.

While out shopping I kept my eyes out on how to package the finished shuttles to send. After looking over different packaging, I decided on what they labeled as 'Pillow Cases'. They were found in the wedding section which meant overpriced. I was able to find a substitute at another store, and with a little bit of tissue paper in it, I believe it will give enough protection to survive the not so tender hands that manage shipping items.

No comments:

Post a Comment