June 11, 2013

Molding




Molds...I need them. I made a few with the Oyumaru, but they didn't hold up. It was a good starter but I decided to make permanent mold. At first I picked up (with my 50% off Micheal's coupon) Amazing Putty. Now this was an impulse buy because I wasn't actually planning on getting this. When I got home, I went online to YouTube to see reviews on this.
 I'm glad someone else did a comparison review specifically for use with resin. I'm doubly glad I didn't open the package and start playing with it. I took it back the next day and exchanged it for a box of Easy Mold. This molding product was designed for resin not clay, although you can use it for that too.

I began by making some molds with buttons I bought specifically for that. I love filagree work. The problem for me is finding 'doodads' with the filagree. I found these buttons and wanted a way to get more. I was planning on cutting the shafts off but no that I have a way to make molds, I don't have to destroy the original to get my copy.

I was getting another batch ready to make some of the larger tags. I forgot there's a time limit on how long you have before it sets and wasted it. I did learn that it gets warmer when it sets then cools down naturally when cured. After some more mixing I made four of the tags. One the longer rectangle/key chain mold, it had an air bubble in the mixture. When it set it left it marked. It's possible to fix this little glitch according to the manufacturer's website so I don't feel like it was an wasted effort. I have one more button I want to make a copy of them I have to wait 24 hours to test them. They're ready to use in like an hour but for resin they recommend to wait that long to make sure it will be 100% cured.

I made some test pieces with the Oyamaru molds and I didn't mix the resin correctly. It was still gel-like after the overnight curing. A couple of days later, they are hard on the bottom layer but the top layer is still soft to the touch. I suppose a few more days of curing  might harden them as the bottom layer did. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment